By far the heaviest loss incurred this season and possibly the greatest loss for the club to date, was the death of that pioneer and club stalwart Mr Daniel Brophy, J.P. (his biography is in the 1871 post.)
Daniel had been the treasurer of the infant club and as was stated then “his cheque was always ready whether the club had funds or not.” He held that position for 14 years and then on the death of H. R. Caselli took on the role of president for a further 6 years until ill-health forced his retirement. He then became a life patron of the club. He was one of the key figures in not only founding the club but in ensuring its survival and its success. Certainly men like Daniel Brophy come along about once every generation and for the first 30 years of the club there was, in my view, no greater contributor or supporter to the Ballarat City Rowing Club in all aspects than Dan Brophy. If J. W. Graham provided the catalyst for starting the club then Daniel Brophy provided the dedication to support the club from its inception for the first 25 years of its existence.
Added to the honorary life members/patrons list this season were Ballarat Rowing Club’s founder and veteran member Mr E (Ned) Williams and Mr. J. M. Fitzgerald.
After the being the number one club in the Colony in 1894, this year was one of rebuilding. Many experienced oarsmen either moved or retired. Consequently the club only recorded two wins. One win at Ballarat Regatta where J. Ferris won this wonderful cup for the Maiden sculls. It is currently in the possession of Wendouree/ Ballarat Rowing Club. E.Issacs also won the Maiden Sculls at Upper Yarra Regatta.
Ballarat Rowing Club built an outstanding triple bay, two storey boatshed in 1895 to replace the original shed that had been built in 1864.This elegant shed designed by H.R.Caselli’s successor Figgis still graces the foreshore today. Unfortunately the extensive Federation style balcony that was a prime spot for watching races on the lake side has long gone. Gone too is the striking architectural detailing that made this boatshed so prominent. This is now the Ballarat Clarendon College, K.D.Baird Boatshed. The school purchased it in 1973 after the Ballarat Rowing Club amalgamated with Wendouree Rowing Club. They did extensive renovations and upgrade in 2010.